I post all kinds of quotes, collected wisdom, and—certainly—quite a few clichés. But my primary desire in all of this is to have a place to document the big and little lessons I want to pass on to my sons.
Every now and then I like to make a list of some essentials. Here’s what I jotted down today:
- Treat people—all people—the way you want to be treated.
- Try to see the good in everybody.
- Be persistent and be willing to be the worst at first.
- Be willing to out-wait other people for your chance.
- Tell the truth. Lying only makes things worse. Plus, when you tell the truth you never have to remember what you said.
- Have priorities and allow them to help you make hard decisions. A fox who chases two rabbits catches neither.
- Carrying hate and resentment is like drinking poison and hoping someone else will die.
- Leave things better than you found them.
- Never be embarrassed to express your love.